- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 12-oz. can Rotel Tomatoes, (hot)
- 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 5 Tbsp. powdered roux
- 2 cups water
- 1 pkg. onion soup mix
- in a bowl combine the first 8 ingredients and mix well,
- shape into 1 1/2" diameter meatballs (yield will be around 30)
- brown meatballs on all sides in a medium to large skillet at 350 degrees F.
- drain the oil and and set the meatballs aside
- in a medium-sized pot mix-in the Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce, powdered roux and onion soup mix
- cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- next, pour-in small amounts of water at the time until the desired thickness is reached
- finally, add the meatballs to the mixture and simmer another 20-30 minutes
- serve over cooked long grain rice
Makes 6-8 servings
Note: Keep in mind that the more water you add, the thinner the sauce will become.
Tip: As you slowly stir and cook the tomato sauces and roux down (low to medium heat), be sure to taste-test it every now and again to gauge the strength of your seasoning.
Also, if someone at the dinner table can't take the heavy spices that are in the sauce, there is always the option of removing some of the meat-balls from the pot before hand and presenting them in a different way -- like on an open-face sandwich, for example. This is another reason why we do not add any spicy seasonings to the meatballs. All of the hot spices are in the sauce.
Enjoy! ... mon amie. Ahheee!