I first discovered "Angels on Horseback" at Fat Jack's Sports Bar which is located on the Arkansas side of the state line which separates it from Texas. The only change that I made to this delicious recipe was using pepper jack cheese rather than mozzarella because I prefer the extra spicy bite this cheese contributes to the dish. They make great hors d'oeuvres and are easy to prepare.
- 8 oz. canned boiled oysters
- 8 oz. shredded pepper jack cheese
- smoked bacon, thinly sliced
- individually roll the oysters with a slice of smoke-flavored bacon
- space the wrapped oysters evenly on a cookie sheet
- bake in the oven at 350 degrees F. for around 20 minutes (or until the bacon has thoroughly cooked)
- top each morsel with pepper jack cheese and continue cooking until the cheese has melted
- remove the wrapped oysters from the oven and serve.